While back, I got my self a network media box from WD, called Western Digital WD TV HD (G2 version). I am very happy with it since it plays almost all formats from my NAS. A great solution for children movie collection. My WD G2 is older version which had no network connection and it played only USB attached drivers. Lucky I found this hacked firmware which allows for USB wireless or USB wired NIC cards to be attached. As well as many other cool features. From cheap ($40 / $60 back in 2009) media player to great media box.
I am using 1.01.77-WDLXTV-G2-0.4.5.3 with great results.
What is WDLXTV?
WDLXTV is a homebrew firmware developed by the community for the WDTV line of products from Western Digital. Its goal is to add a lot of new features on top of what is already provided by WD, such as movie sheets, Bittorrent, streaming from external online sources, and a lot more.
Supported devices are:
- WDTV Gen 1 (older version of WDLXTV)
- WDTV Gen 2 (Model number WDBABF0000NBK)
- WDTV Live (Model number WDBAAN0000NBK)
- WDTV Live Plus (Model number WDBABX0000NBK, WDBREC0000NBK, WDBG3A0000NBK)
- WDTV Live Hub (Model number WDBABZ0010BBK, WDBACA0010BBK)
- WDTV Mini
- WDTV Live Gen 3 (Model number WDBHG70000NBK, WDBGXT0000NBK)
– linux kernel 18.104.22.168-19-4